A Brief History of First Parish in Framingham
Immediately after the founding of Framingham, in
1700, a town meeting was held to call to the new community the Rev.
John Swift, a recent graduate of Harvard who had been preaching in the
new meeting house. He arrived and wrote a Covenant between God and the
inhabitants of the new town. The Church of Christ in Framingham was
In 1826, a new Parish was created by the state
government to run the affairs of the church, after the town had
relinquished that item of business. In 1830, a split in the church
population took place. The conservative wing went across the street to
found the forerunner of the present Plymouth Church, while First Parish
became Unitarian. In 1960, the Unitarian Church merged with the
Universalist Church in Framingham and ushered in a new chapter in the
history of First Parish.
Today, our history spans five church buildings
and twenty-five settled ministers. Our present church campus consists of
the Meeting House, the Parish House, and adjacent property at 110
Edgell Road, which houses staff offices and meeting spaces.
have an outstanding record of accomplishments
in education, music, and outreach to friends and strangers. In 2000,
First Parish voted to become a Welcoming Congregation to express our
commitment to welcome and support bisexual, gay, lesbian and/or
transgender individuals. For more information concerning our commitment
as a Welcoming Congregation please contact Allison Park at (508) 309-8490 or firstname.lastname@example.org