After the founding of Framingham, in 1700, a town meeting was held to call to the new community the Rev. John Swift, a recent graduate of Harvard who had been preaching in the new meeting house. He arrived and wrote a Covenant between God and the inhabitants of the new town. The Church of Christ in Framingham was born.
In 1826, a new Parish was created by the state government to run the affairs of the church, after the town had relinquished that item of business. In 1830, a split in the church population took place. The conservative wing went across the street to found the forerunner of the present Plymouth Church, while First Parish became Unitarian. In 1960, the Unitarian Church merged with the Universalist Church in Framingham and ushered in a new chapter in the history of First Parish. The Universalists in Framingham sold their house of worship and joined our services. They provided the funds to expand the recently built Parish House to incorporate more office and meeting space. The Huntley Wing is dedicated to their previous Universalist minister, Rev. George Huntley.
Today, our history spans five church buildings and twenty-five settled ministers. Our present church campus consists of the Meeting House, the Parish House, and adjacent property at 110 Edgell Road, which provides meeting space for religious exploration and community programs.